Monday, June 8, 2009, 9:03 PM

Current Weather: Rainy (very hard)
Temperature: Cold
Current Activity: Sipping hot coffee
Feeling: Happy and Relaxed B-D

One of the things I missed doing is locking myself up inside my bedroom and do the "DVD marathon", as they call it. Last Monday of May, I was walking somewhere in Pasig with my mom when I saw a small stall selling DVDs. I instantly thought of buying the Korean TV Show, Boys Over Flowers, since the one I bought the week before had unreadable subtitle. Also on display was another foreign TV show, 1 Litre of Tears. I had no idea about the story--all I know is that GMA7 airs it every night--but since I also like watching heavy dramas (the title has an obvious meaning), I asked my mom to buy the two.

No, no. I'm not going to spill and embarrass myself that, in my age, stories like Boys Over Flowers still give me the thrill. And no, I won't even mention that I have a crush on Lee Min Ho (as Gu Jun Pyo). And I won't even tell you that I'm praying to have Geum Jan Di's luck in her lovelife. Nooooooooooo! (?)

Instead, I want to share how 1 Litre of Tears inspired me a lot and opened my mind in the reality that life is indeed precious.


1 Litre of Tears (1リットルの涙 Ichi Rittoru no Namida) was based on Aya Kito's diary (photo on the left) which was published shortly before she died last May 23, 1988. In the TV show, when Aya Ikeuchi (played by Erika Sawajiri) was only15, she was diagnosed with Spinocerebellar Degenerative Disease (SCD). For a bit of information, the affected area of this disease is a part of our brain called the cerebellum which controls the movement of our body. People with SCD experience a failure in muscle control in their extremities resulting in poor balance and coordination. so they always fall. As the disease progresses, the person will soon not be able to move, talk, and swallow food. Generally, the disease only affects the muscle movement; the mental capacity of the patient stays normal. Aya's diary was meant to monitor how the disease was progressing and eventually served as her medium to express her views about life.

The story was indeed inspirational especially for those who happen to have the same disease as Aya's. It also serves as an eye-opener to those who's faith have been dragged down by their condition. After watching the series, I realized that life doesn't stop when you've discovered you are very ill. Just like Aya, continue to live and inspire others. It's hard to accept it at first but , eventually, you will.

"Live on. Live on forever."

For English translations of the said diary, visit:
http://onelitre.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=OneLitre&nextdate=3%2f7%2f2006+5%3a50%3a33.200

Labels: , , ,


THE OWNER
Tin San Diego is a registered nurse who appreciates serene places, good melodies, and kind people.



FEATURED GIVEAWAY

Kaitlyn Mannes is hosting another Back to School Giveaway

Up for grabs:
School/office supplies
MAC Lipstick
A loot bag of cosmetics and beauty tools

ENTER HERE

recent entries


Daily Reads

Credits
Base Codes: Karyan Chong
Others: Deviant ArtFlickrSXC



Contents in this blog © Tin San Diego unless otherwise specified.
Stuff taken from other sites are properly credited and/or linked.


Proudly Pinoy!